Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

The thing that I love about this book series is the fact that Marissa Meyer manages to write different characters and different romances with her own style without it feeling like all of the characters are some variation on the same. Scarlet felt different to Cinder and Cress, dear Cress with her idealistic views and childish ways, is different to them both. 

I feel like I'm betraying Cress and Thorne if I say this here, after all this is their book, but Scarlet and Wolf are my fave Lunar Chronicles couple and I felt so heartbroken for the two of them in this book, I also loved the fact that we get to revisit Cinder and Kai in this book - Cress and Thorne are cute, but their romance doesn't develop in the same way as the first two couples and I didn't feel as invested into them.

Maybe the reason for that is that Cress felt to me like a weaker character than Cinder and Scarlet and as much as I liked her - she was so cute - she wasn't as kick ass as the other girls. She is lonely, and totally has a crush on Carswell Thorne even before he comes into her life, but this made me wonder whether her feelings were really developing from that at all.

I also feel like the plot in Cress slowed down a bit - I was still absolutely gripped but not as much as I had been for Cinder or Scarlet. Marissa Meyer's writing was as amazing as before, but the plot slowed down a bit, which unfortunately dampered my enjoyment a teenie bit.

That being said, Cress was a thoroughly enjoyable read, with great characters both new and old. Whilst the pace drooped a little, I know it will pick up in Winter and I cannot wait to get started on that!


Book released 4th February 2014 by Feiwel and Friends

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.