Review: Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1)Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.



Yay! A decent mermaid book with a male lead character, I never thought it would happen but it did and for that I am very happy and yes, a mermaid book showing the darker, murderous side of mermaids. It's safe to say that I loved this book solely for those reasons. Still there were a lot more reasons why i enjoyed this book as well.


I really loved Calder as a lead, having a merman lead is unique enough but Calder as a character was so well developed as well. He had his personal issues and as a character he developed throughout the book, though at times he seemed quite feminine, probably because he's a male character written by a female author and at times he was too emo and very stalkery... it was like weird. I also really liked Lily, the love interest, who wasn't a really girly girl and was pretty kick butt herself, and she noticed how creepy Calder was being and called him up on it, I liked a girl who doesn't think stalking boys are normal. The relationship between the two was also unique because of the obstacles in the way and it wasn't insta-love even though wasn't a great deal of development for it. I really liked Calder's sisters. Theyw ere awesome. And evil. And cool. But man, they deserved more screen-time, they were just terrifying and crazy in a good way that only evil mermaids can be.


What I loved about this book is that it was dark. The storyline was pretty predictable but also original with little twists here and there that gave me little shocks, I would have liked the climax to be more shocking and edge-of-the-seat. I also felt that there wasn't enough of a back story into certain things, such as Calder's mother's death, Pavati and Jack's history and Calder's childhood and change.


Overall, a well written and enjoyable book that was original but predictable at times. I found that Calder was a bit crazy at times but I really liked Lily, she was unique. Calder's sister's stole the show. The book was dark and I did enjoy the take on mermaids.


Overall Rating: C+



Book released June 12th 2012 by Delacorte Press
Book received as an eBook for review via NetGalley



No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.