Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

StruckMia Price is a lightning addict. She's survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her. 

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn't who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.




I heard about this book months ago and knew that I had to read it, I mean... dystopian and supernatural put together is one of my favorite genres and a book about a lightning addict had to be awesome, right? 


Honestly, I don't know, I loved most of it but some things I didn't like as much.


I loved the story telling in this book, never once did the pacing drop. I was literally on the edge of my seat, wanting to flick through to find out what was going to happen but also wanting to savour this book because pacing wise and story telling wise this may be one of the best books that I have read in a long time. I was literally gripped, it's a pretty average length book, maybe a little on the long side at 385 pages but I finished it really quickly once I really got into it.


Mia was a fantastic character and her narration had me from the first page, she was believable and real but at the same time strong and intelligent. I felt that she made the right decisions at timesbut at the same time she didn't come across as too perfect to be relatable or likable but there are also times that she does stupid things but she doesn't seem to stupid and weak, Bosworth got the balance right there . There were some great secondary characters, I really liked Katrina who was sassy and a bit of a cow at times. I also loved figuring out the dynamics of the relationship between Mia, her mother and Park (her brother). Some of the characters are so flexible that I couldn't work out who was good and who was bad.


So what is it that brought this book down for me? I really liked the love interest, Jeremy but I did feel that the love story was too quick to develop. I mean, literally, the book takes place over three days and by the end Mia and Jeremy are declaring their love. I mean, I'm rooting for them but at the same time I would have like a slower development.


I also struggled with the religious aspect. I am not a religious person and there is a lot of religion thrown around in here, the word 'God' is thrown around a lot which I struggled with and it may have been fine if this aspect of the story was implied more in the blurb, but I went into it without knowing about it and so it really shocked me how big a deal the prophet is and everything.


Overall, I really enjoyed this read. it was fast paced, exciting and the characters were fantastic. It probably would be in the A grade if it wasn't for the insta-love and there was more about the religion in the blurb.


Overall Rating: B



Boo released May 8th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Book received as an eBook from review from NetGalley

No comments

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.