Review: Daughter of the Centaurs by Kate Klimo

Daughter of the Centaurs (Centauriad, #1)Malora knows what she was born to be: a horse wrangler and a hunter, just like her father. But when her people are massacred by batlike monsters called Leatherwings, Malora will need her horse skills just to survive. The last living human, Malora roams the wilderness at the head of a band of magnificent horses, relying only on her own wits, strength, and courage. When she is captured by a group of centaurs and taken to their city, Malora must decide whether the comforts of her new home and family are worth the parts of herself she must sacrifice to keep them.



To start with I really did not think that i would be able to finish this book, the writing was disorientation because it was written present tense, so it was like "Malora knows how to train horses so Malora walks out of the door and Malora does this" and I didn't like it, though after a few chapters I began to notice it less. I also started this book thinking that I had got the wrong end of the stick as for the first few chapters our main character is a young girl and I had been expecting a teenager, thankfully a few chapters in our naive young girl is now a strong teenager, unfortunately we don't get to see this transition happened so there are a few character development issues there.


The story is great, I love the idea of this young girl leading a pack of horses, defending them from the wilderness, I actually started to feel for the horses, then Malora and the horses are captured and taken to the centaur city and whilst I loved the events that happened there and the type of civilization set up, I just did not like the fact that this was a centaur civilization. My honest opinion is that centaurs should live in the wood and hunt and have honor but not too much and I think that the centaurs in this book were too civilized and that isn't really what readers will want. 


Nevertheless, the thing about the centaurs has too be my biggest issue, I actually liked the pacing and once I got past the narrative tense I actually loved the way that the author described things, i was shocked to find out that this book is set far into the future and I like that the hints are dropped but it's developed as an adventure/fantasy rather than a dystopian.


Overall, I would recommend this to younger middle grade to young teen readers but not to older readers that like young adult, I am eighteen and found the book was possibly a bit young for me. An enjoyable enough read but not one that I absoloutely loved.


Overall Rating: C-



Book to be released through Random House on 24th Jan
Book received as an eGalley through NetGalley

1 comment

  1. Thx for reading and reviewing this book!! I saw it and it looked intriguing, but I had some questions. I like your opinion regarding the writing and the centaurs. Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.