Review: Borrowing Abby Grace by Kelly Green

Borrowing Abby GraceWhen Abby Grace wakes up in the back of a van, she has no idea who she is, how she got there, or why anyone would want to kidnap her. After escaping her masked captors, she hurries home, only to discover that she unknowingly left her younger brother behind in the van. Unable to answer the police’s questions with her memories gone, she retreats to the safety of her bedroom where she tries to reconstruct her life. Just as she is settling into the belief that things will one day return to normal, she looks in the mirror—and sees a stranger’s face. 


As Abby learns next, she has become a Shadow, sent to inhabit the lives of strangers in trouble. With nothing to go on except the vague hints of her cute but maddening Guardian, a 19th century ghostly teenager named Will, Abby sets out to rescue the missing brother. But she will need all of her intelligence, fearlessness, and wit, because if she fails to find him in time, she will remain trapped in this unfamiliar body forever.



I'm always anxious when starting novellas because sometimes I find that the story is too jumpy and fast-paced for me to relax into. This was the (only) issue with Borrowing Abby Grace for me. The start was gripping and the story was full of enough intrigue, but because of the length it lacked substance and whilst I enjoyed it, I never fully connected.


This novella is a quick read, and because of this I'm going to find it hard to pull up enough to write a full length review. I found that the story jumped a bit, it takes place over three days and I found that whilst the timing ran smoothly there was a lot of jumping between places. I also found that the length meant that there wasn't much character building, but I look forward to seeing Abby and Will in the next book in the series and maybe getting to know them a little bit more. I loved Will, and there was definite chemistry between Abby and him so i hope to see some romantic devlopment somewhere along the line.


The intrigue about how Abby came to be a shadow is interesting and I can't wait to hear more about it, and find out what her next mission is.


Overall, it lacked substance but I put this down to the short length. I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to the next one.




1 comment

  1. Hmmm I can't work out whether I'd enjoy this one enough, the synopsis makes it sound like they'll be too much going on for such a short book! X

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.