Review: Fairy Bad Day by Amanda Ashby

Fairy Bad DayWhile most students at Burtonwood Academy get to kill demons and goblins, fifteen-year-old Emma gets to rid the world of little annoying fairies with glittery wings and a hipster fashion sense. She was destined to be a dragon slayer, but cute and charming Curtis stole her spot. Then she sees a giant killer fairy - and it's invisible to everyone but her! If Emma has any chance of stopping this evil fairy, she's going to need help. Unfortunately, the only person who can help is Curtis. And now, not only has he stolen her dragon-slayer spot, but maybe her heart as well! Why does she think it's going to be a fairy bad day?



Okay, first thing is first. I love this cover, it suggests that the book is going to be cute and modern with a kick-ass heroine and it grabbed me straight away.


Does the book deliver these things? Partly. This book is very cute at times, it was an almost girly version of say, Percy Jackson, except without the gods and goddesses. As well as this though, we see a bit of that darker side present in so many paranormal YA books, which I liked. This books is very modern though, the fairies are annoying little creatures that hang out in the mall and read gossip magazines which was funny to read about.


As for the characters, we have Emma, our heroine who is pretty kick-ass, but at the same time she is marginally whiny and very stupid at times. I liked her as a character though, she was funny, witty and in the end, extremely likable. I totally relate to her in that she wants to be the best and resents Curtis from taking her spot from her.


I wasn't a massive fan of the romance, it happened too fast and while it was cute, i never saw enough of it to actually form a connection or see any chemistry. I did like some parts though, specifically the little bits of romantic angst (I'm a horrible person), still Curtis was cute. I did think there were too many descriptions of Curtis though.


The pacing was perfect, from page one I was gripped, gasping and laughing along with the slightly outrageous parts of the book (one thing is for sure: I'm keeping a packet of Sour Skittles with me at all times).


Overall, despite a few character and romance problems, this book was amazing. i am totally hooked - I would recommend this to almost anyone!


Overall Rating: B+



Release: 9th July 2011
Publisher: Speak
Book bought by myself



1 comment

  1. Im glad you did enjoy this even though there were a couple of things that put you off! Its on my wishlist and I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.