Review: Die for Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum

Die for Me (Revenants, #1)My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything. 

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

Why I Read It: It was bought for me by my boyfriend after a lot of begging. The cover is gorgeous and there are so many fantastic reviews for it.

Review: I was pulled into this book very quickly, Kate's grief grabbed me in and I immediatly felt that this book was going to be deep and emotional rather than just a typical paranormal romance. 

Which, unfortunately, is exactly what I got.

I did really enjoy this book, it wasn't amazing, but it was good and I got through it pretty quickly. I think what really pulled this book down was the romance, which follows pretty much every single paranormal romance cliche. The main character is a plain, introverted girl that likes to read a lot, her love interest is a stunningly gorgeous immortal that she doesn't feel like she deserves. While I enjoyed the characters alone, the structure of the romance is very cliche and predictable. There was also a possible love triangle coming up... grrrr!

Now that that is out of the way, I'll talk about the story. While Die for Me doesn't really offer much originality the narration is lovely and the setting really adds a touch of something unique! Setting the story in a little quaint part of Paris really made this book perfect escapism, and pretty gorgeous. I liked the idea of the revenants, but did feel like some of the 'powers' and 'skills' weren't developed well enough and left some plot holes that I'd like to see dealt with in the sequel.

I liked the relationship between Kate and her sister, it seemed very realistic as they had a lot of arguments but still had a very caring relationship. I liked that they were in mourning, it gave a reason for Kate to be the way she is and added a deeper, more relatable dynamic to the story. I was very confused about the way their grandparents acted though - they didn't seem to care that their grand kids, who were recently bereaved were going round and about alone, at night, and coming in late. 

I liked Vincent's 'family', the dynamics were great and though it took me a while to get their seperate personalities into my head, I came to like them all. The family set-up reminded me very much of a *cough* much better known group of undead that I hate *cough* but the characters themselves added comic relief.

Overall, Die For Me wasn't the amazing read I was expecting, but it wasn't difficult to get through and despite the lack of originality, the unique setting and characters pulled thus story along. A definite recommend for fans of the typical paranormal romance, but I'd advise everyone to give it a go.

Overall Rating: B

Stand Alone/Series: First in the Revenants series.
UK Release: 11th May 2011
UK Publisher: ATOM
Book received as a gift from my boyfriemd

2 comments

  1. I agree with you - I liked this book, but it wasn't amazing, and the romance was definitely cliche. I did really like the fact it was set in Paris though, and I liked the whole idea of "revenants". Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *shies away* ... I thought it was amazing, I loved the characters and setting and whilst yes Kate was a bit of a cliché'd main character I actually enjoyed seeing the events through her eyes! I am glad you enjoyed it though, even if you didn't think it was amazing

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.