Review: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.


This has been a book that I wasn't interested in, but I bought it as the third in an "any two for three" book offer. 

I have to admit, I sort of loved it. 

My first impressions were that this book may be a little childish, but I muddled on as I was in the bath and really could not be bothered to get out just to get another book. Actually, by chapter two, I was absorbed.

What really grabbed me, straight away was that Sophie's powers were already established so we didn't have to go through the whole angsty 'whats-wrong-with-me' thing, instead, we're thrown pretty much straight into the story, so it is quite easy to get into. 

The storyline follows a lot of common tropes for books of this genre. We have a new girl who goes to a magic school, makes enemies with three evil popular girls and falls in love with a powerful warlock who is taken by one of said evil girls. I know, it does lack originality but it somehow manages to pull it off with a new twist.

This is probably due to the great characterisation. Sophie Mercer is developed so relatab ly that i real feel that she is a three-dimensonal person, someone I could meet on the street, she makes some rash decisions and feels every emotion that a sixteen year old does, she is written so convincably. Sophie's roomate and best friend, a lesbian vampire named Jenna is also amazing, she adds some comic relief but also adds an extra level to the characters, I think of the characters, Jenna is probably the least flat.

Elodie, Sophie's worst frenemy is also developed so well, I feel that rather than just having a 'I wanna kill you and will do anything to do it' bad girl, adding this little it of a personality set the book apart.
You know who I hated though? Archer. i hated him. I hated his relationship with Sophie. I hated him. Hated Hated Hated. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Too smirky, too evil. 

You know who I did lik? Cal, the silent groundskeeper. Think Hagrid but 40 years younger and way hotter, he's the silent hottie type and i can so see something happening between him and Sophie in the sequel Demonglass. I really like Cal. Team Cal!!!!

All in all, the book was fantastic. I love the way Rachel Hawkins writes. It's so realistic, without any attempt at purple prose. She gives the right characters and attitude and the other one personality, without making it sound like she is just trying to show off her own wit!
Not perfect, but still fantastic, has to be 

Overall rating: A-



Stand alone/series: First in a series
Released: April 1st 201 (Paperback)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster childrens
Pages: 336
Book obtained via: Bought!

3 comments

  1. I was not completely sold on this story but loved the take on the paranormal world. Archer Cross could be my favorite name in the literary world! But if you liked this one you will love the sequel! I loved the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yei!! you read it!!
    I fell completely in love with Rachel's writing of Sophie Archer and such!! plus!! you really have to read the sequel! Demonglass!!! I loved it and the ending is a killer!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts on the post, the book, the world. I like volcanoes, feel free to tell me about volcanoes.